The fair season is on us with the start of the annual Gwinnett County Fair, but there's more going on around town this weekend.
There'll be speeding cars at Road Atlanta, legendary funk bandMother's Finest and, for those looking for a little peace and quiet, a stroll along the Chattahoochee River.
- For more event info, check out Explore Gwinnett's Gwinnett Weekends calendar attached to this file.
Here’s a quick sampling, according to local websites, and Explore Gwinnett (Gwinnett Visitor's and Convention Bureau):
- Sept. 12-22: What do you get when you combine fried dough and spinning rides? Don't answer. Just find out at the Gwinnett County Fair at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds near Lawrenceville. (Weekdays 5 p.m.-11p.m, Saturdays 11 a.m.-11 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m.-10 p.m.; $2-$5)
- Sept. 13-15: Road Atlanta in Braselton hosts National Auto Sports Association races, featuring high-performance street cars. (all day; $10).
- Sept. 13: Wild Bill's near Duluth may be known for country music, but Mother's Finest funks up the place Friday night. (9:30 p.m.; $20-$60)
- Sept. 13: Breath in the fresh air on a guide twilight hike along the banks of the Chattahoochee River at Jones Bridge Park. Advance registration is required (Call 678-277-0920; Code: PPCC14113). (6 p.m.-8 p.m.; $5)
- Sept. 14: The Main Street Park & Amphitheater hosts the Skedaddle for Scholarships 5K road race, with money going to a scholarship fund for Buford-area high school grads. (8 a.m.; $25-$28)
- Sept. 14: The grand opening of the Rabbit Hill Park expansion near Dacula has ribbon cutting, inflatables and hay rides (and more). (10 a.m.-2 p.m.; free)
- Sept. 14: The Suwanee Day Classic Race starts at Town Center Park and goes 10K, 5K and even a fun run. (7:30 a.m. 5K, 8:30 a.m. 10K, 8:35 a.m. Fun Run; $25-$40 to run)
- Sept. 14: Lilburn's community garage sale offers up deals in the parking lot across the street from City Hall. (9 a.m.-2 p.m.; free)