On of the key reason for the 5th place ranking, according to MaxPreps, is Austin Meadows who some consider likely be the first player chosen in the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft. Already committed to Clemson, Meadows batted .390 with four home runs, 28 RBIs and 19 stolen bases last season. He also played football for the 2011 state Champion Rams but is now focused on his baseball career.
Maxpreps also highlighted some of the other players that featured in the decision to rank Grayson at No. 5.
- Taylor Allum - committed to Kennesaw State next year.
- Western Carolina.
- Jack Banda - headed to Arizona on a football scholarship
- Chris Erwin - committed to Kennesaw State
- Brandon Benson - committed to Georgia College and State University
- Jeril Dawson - not yet committed
Following the retirement of coach Seth Rhine at the end of last season, coach Jed Hixson takes over as the new coach for the upcoming season. Hixon served as assistant coach at Grayson High School for nine years.
Grayson therefore comes in at No. 5 in the rankings. MaxPreps is counting down the top 10 teams in the country this week with the final top 25 being revealed Feb. 19.