Space Heater Believed to Have Caused Buford House Fire
One person suffered a minor injury while evacuating the residence.
Gwinnett Fire officials believe an early morning fire at a Buford home was most likely caused by a space heater.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 5600 block of Austin Garner Road at 3:08 a.m. on Feb. 27 after a 911 caller indicated a neighbor's house was on fire.
By the time fire crews arrived, the two adult occupants of the two-story, wood frame home had exited the residence.
You might also be interested in reading:
"Crews found moderate smoke coming from the attic and quickly established command of the incident," wrote Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Colin Rhoden in an email to media outlets.
The fire, he indicated, was contained to one bedroom.
"There was moderate to heavy fire damage on the lower level of the house where the fire started and heavy smoke and heat damage on the upper level and throughout the rest of the house," Rhoden indicated.
One of the occupants suffered a minor foot injury while leaving the home. That person was treated and released at the scene. The Red Cross was called to assist the two displaced residents.
According to officials, the fire appears to be accidental in nature. A space heater is believed to have been the ignition source.
"Gwinnett County Fire Department reminds residents to be cautious when using space heaters," Rhoden added. "Be sure to keep combustibles away from the heater while it is in use, turn off or unplug any units when you will not be able to monitor the use and if possible replace old units with newer ones that have the latest safety devices built into them."