Fire Started in Chimney, Displaces 6 in Lilburn
It is believed that a chimney caused the fire on Sunset Crest Trail.
This story originated on Lilburn Patch
A house fire Sunday afternoon displaced a family of six — two adults and four children, but no one sustained injuries, according to Gwinnett County offiials.
At approximately 2:31 p.m., emergency workers were dispatched to the scene of the house fire in the 4300 block of Sunset Crest Trail. The caller, who also was a resident, said the fire began in the chimney, according to a press release from Lt. Colin Rhoden, of the Gwinnett County fire department.
Arriving five minutes later, crews found heavy smoke and fire showing throughout the attic area. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the second floor and attic areas, the release stated.
Because of the two-story home's construction, including several gables, there were a number of areas where fire could hide, the release stated. Officials decided that another fire engine needed to be dispatched for extra precaution in checking the home for hot spots.
"Homeowner stated that his fireplace was in use prior to the incident, and the smoke detectors alerted the family to the hazard," Rhoden said. "All members exited the house. and no injuries were reported."
Althought the family of six was displaced from their home, they did not need Red Cross assistance, the release stated.
A fire investigator was not called to the scene, in part, because the incident type and nature matched the complaint of the homeowner. Still, according to the press release, the incident remained undetermined by mid-afternoon Sunday.
Tips From Gwinnett Fire Officials:
"Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services encourages all residents who want to use their fireplace to make sure that the flue and chimney are properly and thoroughly cleaned prior to use.
"When using the fireplace, don’t overload the fireplace with more wood than it can handle. Use hard woods, and try to stay away from pine because it lets off flammable oils when burned.
"Make sure the home and the fireplace is properly ventilated to prevent poisonous gases building up. Make sure your smoke detectors are working and have a strong, fully charged battery."
-- Lt. Colin Rhoden, public information officer for the Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services