Three Gwinnett Leaders Appointed as School Principals
From a Gwinnett Public Schools press release
Students at three Gwinnett County schools soon will see a new face greeting them every morning with the appointment of new principals at their schools. During its monthly Board meeting in January, the Gwinnett County Board of Education named the veteran educators as school principals.
The School Board approved Ms. Ruth Westbrooks as the new principal at Puckett’s Mill Elementary, Mr. Clifton Alexander will lead Simonton Elementary, and Dr. Michele Smith transitions to the leadership position at Suwanee Elementary.
Ms. Ruth Westbrooks, Principal of Puckett’s Mill Elementary
2008-Present Assistant Principal, Partee Elementary
2001-2008 Literacy Coach, Simonton Elementary
1995-2001 1st Grade Teacher, Simonton Elementary
1987-1990 Kindergarten Teacher, Head Elementary
1991-1995 Teacher/Director of Mother’s
Harmony Grove United Methodist Church
· Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education – Georgia State University
· Master’s degree in Reading and Literacy – Walden University
· Certification in Educational Leadership –University of West Georgia
Ms. Westbrooks is currently a member of the school district’s 2013 Quality-Plus Leader Academy, Aspiring Principal Program.
She becomes the new leader at Puckett’s Mill Elementary in the Mill Creek Cluster as Principal Michelle Farmer transfers to the Division of Human Resources as Director of Leadership Development.
Mr. Clifton Alexander, Principal of Simonton Elementary
2009-Present Assistant Principal, Meadowcreek Elementary
2006-2009 4th Grade Teacher, Kelley Lake Elementary
2003-2006 5th Grade Teacher,
Alice Coachman Elementary
· Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education -Albany State University
· Master’s degree in Psychology and Counseling – Troy State University
· Specialist’s degree in Educational Administration – Central Michigan University
A member of the school district’s 2013 Quality-Plus Leader Academy, Aspiring Principal Program, Mr. Alexander moves to the Central Gwinnett Cluster as Principal Dr. Chandra Young transitions to her new post as Director of Leadership Development in the Division of Human Resources.
Dr. Michele Smith, Principal of Suwanee Elementary
2010-Present Assistant Principal, Jenkins Elementary
2005-2010 6th Grade Language Arts Teacher, Dacula Middle
2001-2005 4th Grade Teacher, Cedar Hill Elementary
2001 Children and Family Psychotherapist,
Carolina Health Care Systems
(Matthews, North Carolina)
1992-2001 School Social Worker,
Detroit Public Schools (Detroit, Michigan)
1990-1992 Social Worker and Parent Facilitator,
Lutheran Child and Family Services
· Bachelor’s degree in Social Work – Western Michigan University
· Master’s degree in Social Work – Wayne State University
· Specialist’s degree in Educational Leadership – Argosy University
· Doctoral degree in Educational Leadership – Argosy University
Dr. Smith will lead Suwanee Elementary in the North Gwinnett Cluster, replacing Dr. Kimberly Smith, who was named as the district’s Director of Health and Social Services in the Division of School Leadership and Operations. Dr. Michele Smith is a member of the 2013 Quality-Plus Leader Academy, Aspiring Principal Program.